Sunday, May 4, 2008

Day 25 - Flint Mountain Shelter (May 3)


I started the day at Spring Mountain shelter. It was a pleasant walk today with some scattered light rain.

I've been hearing a lot about bears getting into food bags lately. Many shelters do not have bear lines. You have to throw a bear line over a tree branch in order to hang your food. The problem is there are few trees with branches that work well for bear lines. Your food bag is either too close to the tree trunk or too low to the ground. I've seen shelter register entries listing multiple bear encounter. Roaring Fork shelter had a bear incident entry nearly every night for over a week.

Red Bull and Diesel saw a bear cub on the trail just after I passed. I asked them of they played with it. They apparently tried playing tug of war with a rope, but the cub took off with their rope.

I stopped a Jerry shelter to cook dinner. Sure Food and his girl friend Angel were there. Sure Foot has a degree in wildlife management. We talked about plants on the trail.

Thought Foot and I finished the day at the Flint Mountain shelter. The Professor is here. He was telling us of his stay at Elmer's hostile, and how Elmer got a call from Standing Bear hostile warning him about Red Eyes. Elmer called every hostile up to Damascus warning them too. Zepher told me a few days ago that someone at Elmer's hostile kicked Red Eyes out when he showed up.

No comments: