Friday, May 9, 2008

Day 29 - Roan Mountain (May 7)


We started at Cherry Gap shelter and did 20 miles to Stan something shelter. Whoever laid out this section of the AT did not believe in following contour lines or using switchbacks. However, there was no problem making the trail do a huge horse shoe bend to take us over the highest and lowest points. I would not stay on the trail long if every day was like this one.

Thought Foot and I are well ahead of everyone we know. We ran into Zepher, Low Gear, and another hiker going south this morning. Me first thought was that I got turned around and was going in the wrong direction. It turned out they were slack packing. They got a shuttle ride from the hostile this morning. They were walking back about 18 miles.

Zepher had not seen Road Rash or Red Eyes. We were all grateful that Red Eyes is no where to be seen. He did see Shamrock in the hostile. Shamrock is a day behind us.

I keep hearing stories about 3 sketchy looking guys at the Walnut Mountain shelter. Banjo was the last to tell the story. They were about 18 years old. One was missing his upper teeth. They were giving themselves tattoos on their faces. No one used the shelter that night. I saw a lot of trash around when I was there. I also met a trail person near Walnut Mountain who was looking for these guys. It sounds like they were not bothering anyone. They were just making a big mess everywhere they went.

We are sharing the shelter with a guy whose name I think is Sylvan.

2 comments:

pbowyer said...

I just looked up the deffinition of "slackpacking"....wow, I really dont get that....why not just hire a Sherpa to hike the trail for you?

Joe said...

Slack packing can be kind of a nice change. I'm thinking of skipping part of the Demascus area so that I can slack pack with Heather when she is here this weekend.