Monday, May 5, 2008

Day 27 - The Smoldering Apocalypse (May 5)


Started this morning at Bald Mountain shelter. Was up early and on the trail a little after 7:00 AM. I wanted to get to Uncle Johnny's hostile so I can do laundry, shower, and send accumulated and un-needed junk home.

I was a beautiful walk for the first few miles. Then, I entered a smoldering apocalypse. The ground was burned for miles and miles. Smoke was still coming out of the ground in some places. The smell of smoke lingered in the air. I saw no one on the trail. When I got to No Business Knob shelter, I saw notes that the forest was on fire on May 1st and 2nd.

I'm here at Uncle Johnny's now. Thought Foot and I are making good time. We averaged a little less than 20 miles a day the last three days over some tough terrain. I'm hoping to keep up this pace for a while. I hear the terrain gets easier in northern Virginia.

We've had no word from Road Rash since we left Hot Springs. We heard that Hobo Joe went into Ashville, but no one knew if Road Rash was with him. I'm hoping he shows up at the hostile today. We've also had no word from Red Eyes since Hot Springs. Sooner or later, someone is going to have to carry his broken body off the trail. He is doing way too many stupid things including taking drugs that make him stagger. He will get hurt eventually.

I saw the Professor here at the hostile. His foot was bothering him, and I heard last night that he hitched a ride into town.

Everyone has some kind of foot problems. I have a couple small blisters on my right foot. I don't know what to do to stop them. I've been managing them well, and they have not been anything except a minor discomfort. I think managing foot problems is mandatory. If you don't manage them well, you will be off the trail.

I would like to thank Heather for all of the updates and pictures and information she posted. I'm using too many public computers, and would like to prevent other people using those same computers from seeing my blog. I need to work on my phone settings. Keep posting. I love reading everyone's posts.

No comments: