Saturday, May 31, 2008

Day 53 - Blue Blazing (May 31)


I started this morning at Bobblets Gap shelter and walked about 23 or 24 miles to Thunder Hill shelter. I walked most of the day with Jet Ski who was the section hiker I met last night at the last shelter.

Jet Ski has a map so we decided to blue blaze a few miles to a campground store for cold drinks, ice cream, and lunch. We met Aqua Marie and Tailgate on the way, and had lunch with them. Then we blue blazed back to the At. It doesn't look like we lost any miles, but the five orange juices were good. Everyone was impressed with my ability to drink two and a half quarts of OJ in an hour along with everything else.

It was a very hot day. We had several 1,000 to 2,000 foot inclines today. I was happy for a breeze. I was ready to nap after lunch. To It and his daughters (Buzz Lightyear and Doctor Zoom) were joking about writing a book to dispel AT myths. One myth is Virginia is flat. I can't tell you how many times I heard that.

I met K1 today who took 300 zeros. He was hiking the trail last year with chest pains. He finally went home and saw a doctor. He said the doctors would not let him leave the hospital until he had surgery for defective veins or arteries in his heart. He got back on the trail 12 or 13 days ago after zeroing since July of last year. He said he is feeling more winded this year.

Also at the shelter is Hiker Dave and New York Minute. I know Hiker Dave. There are more and more section hikers and fewer and fewer thru hikers. The section hikers often avoid us. I see a couple tents, but no one is talking to us. New York Minute talked to them to find out they were section hikers.

Hiker Dave was telling me about all of the hikers who are leaving the trail. I'm ahead of most of the people I started with so I do not hear about stuff like this.

Water is becoming more of a problem. Many shelters either do not have a water source or the water source is seasonal. It took about 5 minutes to fill a liter bottle last night. This shelter has a seasonal water source that is flowing very well.

1 comment:

Boomer said...

If not a whole book, at least a list of dispelled myths on one of the AT sites would be a good thing