Saturday, May 31, 2008

Day 52 - Bobblett's Gap Shelter (May 30)


I got a late start this morning leaving the motel at about 11:00 AM. Hike On and Down Hill were leaving at the same time. I did about 18 miles today. It was hot, but the trail was well graded.


I think I drank 1.5 gallons of water on the trail, and I'm still thirsty. I bought a platypus water bladder yesterday. It holds 2 liters. It has a tube to drink from so I can drink while walking.

To It and his two daughters (Buzz and Doctor Zoom) are here tonight. At least I think Doctor Zoom is also his daughter. There is a section hiker here tonight, but I can't remember his name. He is really nice. Two others came after dark.

I'm feeling a lot better today. Walking was pleasant. I've been crossing the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are great views.

I'm pretty sure that I can aqua blaze the entire Shenandoah Valley. If anyone wants to join me, I will likely be in Waynesboro on Wednesday or Thursday of next week. I think you rent canoes, and take them without a guide. I'm not sure how long it will take to canoe 100 miles. I'm guessing if the current is with you, it will take about 5 days. There are supposed to be outfitters in Waynesboro that rent canoes you can call if you are interested.

1 comment:

pbowyer said...

Joe...I'm not seeing a canoe rental/outfitter specifically located in Waynesborough....but call Shen. River Outfitters (located in Luray) at this # 540 743 4159....they should be able to set you up or know who can...

as said before, it actually should be possible to canoe all the way from Waynsbourgh to Font Royal...and actually to Harpers Ferry for that matter...