Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Day 42 - Chestnut Knob (May 20)


I eat the first of my power bars today. I kept watching to see which powers I would develop, but nothing seemed to happen. I kept checking for the most common powers...flight, invisibility, super strength, elasticity, x-ray vision, and stuff like that. Could I have missed a power? I even had Thought Foot and Buzzard keep checking me for invisibility just in case I would still be able to see myself, but absolutely nothing happened.

Thought Foot and I did about 21 miles today to get to Chestnut Knob shelter. We picked up Buzzard along the way. Someone stole Buzzard's umbrella a Trail Days. He last had it while dancing around a bonfire with Pathfinder and the OSU Boys. Now they are at war. Buzzard is writing crazy stuff in the shelter logs about Pathfinder and the OSU Boys, while Pathfinder and the OSU Boys are racing to catch up. They have apparently been doing this for a while.

We saw a lot of Cool Breeze and his sister Ru. Its really had to know how old they are. This is Cool Breeze' fourth thru hike. He spaces them at 10 year intervals. He has a very long grey beard and is always writing poetry. He could be in his 50s, but he could be much older too.

It was a cold and rainy night. The shelter was a stone cabin. All of the bunks were filled so I slept on the floor. It was nice listening to the rain and wind during the night. I was very glad I was inside.

No comments: