Friday, May 9, 2008

Day 28 - More Balds (May 6)


We got a late start this morning. Its always hard leaving a hostile or trail town. There are a lot of similarities between hostiles. All have been very accommodating. They have mail service so you can either receive packages or send packages. Most have shuttle service, and stuff you might need on the trail.

I'm very tired today. The beds did not have linens. You had to use your sleeping bags. I was extremely hot. As a result, my nose gets blocked and I do not breath well. This kept me awake most of the night. Its 7 PM now, and I'm in my tent and ready for sleep.

We went through another burned area. Someone said they are controlled burns to help bring in deer (most likely so the deer can be shot).

We had a beautiful walk today over several balds, and a forest on top of a mountain that Thought Food described as enchanted. He said he would have stayed all night if he knew I was not waiting for him at the next shelter. I agree with his description. It was an incredibly beautiful pine forest. The trail was not obvious, and you had to look for white blazes. It felt as if you would be lost forever if you wondered too far from the trail.

We are a Cherry Gap shelter tonight. Banjo and Mrs. Bigglesworth are here. They are two ladies in their 30s or 40s who I think are hiking together. Both seem kind of out of shape, but they made it this far and seem to be doing well. Lake is also here. He apparently has already done a thru hike.

I have no phone reception today so I will send this message when I can.

No comments: