Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Day 41 - Back on the Trail (May 19)

Physically, I'm feeling much better today. However, Heather went home today, and I aready miss her.

The fever was very strange. I did not have any of the classic symptoms of an illness like nausea, diarea, sore throat, or anything like that. I had a slight head ache and chills. Something else was happening too, but I don't know what it was. I could not figure out if the something else was my imagination or not. I just knew it was something that could have taken me off the trail if I could not figure it out soon.

My fever has been down since Saturday evening when I started taking the antbiodics. My strength has increased and feels normal now. I'm hoping what I had is something that will be killed by antibiodics. Although, it could be a virus, and it can still come back.

Heather and I took our time getting out of the motel this morning. I was busy packing, and she spent a lot oof time with the new dog. It appears to have been abused. There was a recent scar on its head, and a wound that is still slightly bleeding on its side. If you know anyone who wants a nice dog, please call Heather.

I've seen a lot of strays near the hostiles. People may be dumping animals there because lots of people come through, and many hikers take the dogs. Shepard got his dog at Standing Bear a few days before I was there. Another explaination for the number of strays at hostiles is food. There are so many people at the hostiles that food is nearly in constant supply.

Heather walked with me to the Partnership shelter where I ended my hike last week. She met Long Portage, Daisey from Australia, and a few others whose names she knew (but I didn't) from reading their blogs. Bone Lady was there too, but she did not say anything.

It was sad leaving Heather. Hopefully, she will meet me in Harpers Ferry in a few weeks. The terrian is gentler here so hopefully we will be increasing our mileage per day.

I met up with Thought Foot at the next shelter about 7 miles from the visitor center. Bear Bait and Skywalker were there. Bear Bait spent 3 years in the UK, and now speaks with a Brittish accent. I would still like to know if you can unintentionally lose your native accent that quickly. In other words, should I be speaking to southerners? Skywalker did the trail in 2006.

Thought Foot said he had a great time at Trail Days, which I missed because of my ER visit. He met most of our old friends. Red Eyes did 40 miles in one day to get into Damascus. Most believe he was hopped up on something. Road Rash and Hobo Joe are together about 4 days behind us. They have been trying to ditch Red Eyes without success (as is everyone else). Doc is about 3 days behind. Shamrock did not return for Trail Days and is staying at a roach motel about 3 miles back. I thought about knocking on his door, but I think he likes his privacy.

We made is about 14 or 15 miles to what might be the location of the former Davis Path shelter. We stopped for dinner at a place called the Barn at the I-81 underpass so we would not have to cook. This was the most unfriendly place I've encountered so far. It was a huge building, but they would not let you bring in your pack. Hikers have everthing they need in their packs. No one feels comfortable leaving his or her pack outside. The food was all deep fried or hamburgers. The waitress was very unfriendly, and had three letters tattooed on her arm. I almost asked her which concentration camp she was in. There was almost no one in the building. At least they had a salid.

Once again, there is no internet or phone service here so I will post when I can.

No comments: