Saturday, May 24, 2008

Day 46 - Nero Out of Pearisburg (May 24)

We took our time resupplying this morning. Everyone in town was really nice. The lady at the post office immediately recognized me as a thru hiker. I'm not sure how she knew because I did not have any of my stuff with me. She asked if I was finding my way around town ok. She also told me I should check out Andrew Johnson's house next to the post office, but it was closed.

Moccasins, Enoch, and KBomb were in town at the hostile. We met them at the murder shelter. They are ahead of us now. Frog and Half Elvis are already at the shelter.

Thought Foot met Shamrock in town. Shamrock has been only one shelter behind us. We were doing 20 + days so he could not catch up. I hope we see him soon.

Thought Foot put ice on his foot this morning, and it seems to be doing better. He got in about 5:30 PM yesterday, which was about normal for him. He walks about 2 mph when you include all of his snack breaks.

This trail is layed out so poorly. We looped around for an hour through poison ivy only to come out about a hundred yards from where we started. We had to walk through town and over the New River. We entered the woods by a chemical company. I kept expecting a big climb out of the valley, but instead the trail just looped around.

We are at the Rice Field shelter tonight. We got here at about 3:30 PM. I already set my tent up. I'm going to nap after I send this message. We are going to get back on our up before 6:00 AM schedule tomorrow morning.

No comments: