Friday, May 16, 2008

Day 37 - Ponies in the Mist (May 15)





The Mount Rogers area is spectacularly beautiful. There was a thick fog this morning. As I was walking along the trail, I came across a herd of ponies. I stopped to look at them. Some were shy and backed off. Others were very bold, and surrounded me. There was a cute little baby pony who kept licking its mother.

My energy level is higher today than the last two days, but I have a headache and chills. I can not figure out what's wrong with me. I don't feel sick in any other way. Its 6:30 PM, and I'm already in my tent. A lady by the name of W gave me a vitamin C energy drink. I'm going to try taking vitamins too. I've been meaning to buy them for a while, but I keep forgetting.

I met a woman named Bear Bait who speaks with a British accent. It turns out she is an American who has only lived in the UK for three years. Is it possible to unintentionally replace your American accent with a British accent in such a short time?

We are at the Trimpi shelter tonight. Happy, Always Fine, Wild Bill, W, and Vigil Auntie (or something similar) are here. Pappy already did a thru hike in 2004. He is only on the trail for two weeks. Wild Bill is 69 years old. Buzzard said he was the oldest person he met on the trail.

Its just 10 more miles to the Mount Rogers visitor center where Heather will pick me up tomorrow.

We are over the 500 mile mark today. Under different circumstances this might seem like a long distance. However, it is only the end of the beginning portion. The mileage is going faster and faster. I hear a lot of people will start dropping out now. There are fewer and fewer short term goals to look forward to. My next goal is Harpers Ferry in about 500 miles. I'm hoping we can average about 20 miles a day through this portion. The terrain is easier and we are a lot stronger.

No comments: