Friday, May 30, 2008

Sarver Homestead

Paul,

Thanks for the information. Are you sure a shelter is still near the old buildings? I'm pretty sure the main house is very old because the logs were split with axes. You can see the ax marks on the logs.

There was another cabin, but it did not look like a shelter. It was divided into two sections with entry into one section only through a window. I could not figure out why. The floor of this building had circular saw marks so it is probably much newer than the main house.

There were piles of rocks that looked like they might have been for cool storage. The entire area is filled with springs and what looks like sinkholes. There were two walk-in wells. I know people used to build storage over springs to keep stuff like cheese cool in the summer. Is this what I was looking at? The piles of rocks could also have just been rocks cleared from a field.

1 comment:

pbowyer said...

What I have read, and there isnt much info, is that before the current AT shelter was built by the Trail club (I think in 2002) that hikers would commonly stay in one or more of the delapiataed structures. I cannot see the site; how far is the AT shelter from these buildings?
Anyway, supposedly one of the "old" delapitated structures (termed the "shed") was supposedly re-worked or fixed up or something in the ~ 1980's by some kids in an attempt to make a better shelter building...
I found some photos of the site...but I cant get a sence of the layout and context of the photos.