Monday, May 12, 2008

Day 33 - Demascus (May 11)

I had my first bear encounter this morning. I was unzipping my tent in the early morning hours, and I heard a crashing through the woods. By the time I got my light out, I could not see anything. I'm guessing the bear was about 20 to 30 yards from my tent when it ran off.

We did about 26 miles into Damascus. I feel really good. Thought Foot is hurting a little. He needs to zero in order to recover. It was raining most of the day. At times, there was even some hale and strong winds. Rain soaked through my rain pants for some reason, and I was damp most of the day. It was cold enough outside so that I felt a chill when ever I stopped.

Thought Foot's camera got soaked. He left his rain gear in Hot Springs by accident. He found a rain jacket on the trail out of Hot Springs, but it apparently had more leaks than he expected. He put his camera in a zippered pocket, but the pocket filled with water.

I've been trying to give Thought Foot some pointers on taking nature pictures. He is always complaining because what ever he wants to photograph keeps moving. I told him he needs to kill and then pose what ever he wants to photograph. He hasn't taken my advice yet, and he keeps missing good photographic opportunities.

We stayed in a Methodist hostile called The Place. This was another free for all. Every bunk was taken. There was no other bunks available in town. I was going to sleep on the floor, but I managed to score the couch, which was the best place to sleep. All of the bunks are wooden plywood platforms that you need to put your sleeping mat on. The cost for the hostile is only $4. There is no alcohol allowed, but there is a bar not too far away that I went to.

I think the next few hundred miles are going to be different than what we seen so far. We have been above the spring greenery for most of the trip so far. There are few leaves out even now at the higher elevations. The leaves are coming out everywhere now. Virginia is going to be hot, enclosed in the green tunnel, and buggy. The wildflowers are probably going to disappear soon too. I think this is where many will drop out, and possibly for good reason. I would like to really push hard to get through Virginia. The terrain is much easier here or at least it has been the last few days. I think its going to continue to be a lot less steep.

6 comments:

pbowyer said...

Watch out....He's still out there: I was just looking at the photo blog of "Peregrine Trail Dancer"...a hiker that "Stinger" mentioned on his blog...(both at trailjournals.com)....and was strolling my way through her photos dated May 10th...and there he was...Red Eyes...in all his glory....

PB

Joe said...

Where was Red Eyes? He has been really looking forward to Trail Days here in Demascus next weekend. I suspect I will see him then. I'm currious about where he is now. There is almost no news from those behind us on the trail. News moves much better the other way. I know lots of stuff about people in front of us. What did Peregrine Trail Dancer have to say about Red Eyes?

Tadpole said...

I thought I told you to hide the ouzo? The bear wouldn't have come over if you had.

pbowyer said...

PTD didn't say anything about him on her blog page....there just was a picture of him on her photo page dated may 10th.....no caption...he looked like he was in a town...because he had a shopping bag...so dont know...I just know that face now...

PB

pbowyer said...

I could be a photo from earlier date...just posted on 10th....

Maybe is ways have finaly caught up with him....

Hotdogs said...

Oh yeah that's him.